Monday, January 31, 2011

From Frustration to Celebration




In Ghana, if you want to buy something and the seller is all out, it can be frustrating. They will have what you want one week and when you go back the next week they don't have it. They use an interesting phrase to tell you that they no longer have the item for you. The point that they are making is that what was here is no longer here. Every seller will tell you the exact phrase and it makes me smile every time I hear it. They simply say, "It is finished". So if I ask, "Do you have anymore sugar? The clerk will respond, "No, it is finished." "Do you have that green soap?" "No, it is finished."
It reminds me of what Christ accomplished on the cross for those who would repent and place their trust in Him alone. I ask, "Do I have to fear death?" He answers, "No, it is finished." "Am I a slave to sin?" "No, it is finished." "Will you be merciful to me, a sinner?" "Yes...because it is finished."
We thank the Lord that, because of His work, what was there before is there no longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment